Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ancilliary to Writing

When I was first marketing the book I was very lucky. My wife had a second job that required travel and I would go with her. Unfortunately my depression didn't allow me to make the best use of this and I didn't arrange many book signings in places I now can't afford to go just for that purpose.

So I've been thinking about the ways my luck has assisted me. Because I write medieval fantasy, having a doctor who is right into that sort of thing helps. Dr Dawn Evans read my book and has been very supportive and helpful lending me books and giving me feedback. The same with my psychologist, Rhonda Lawson and my Bowen Therapist, Marlene Faulkner. Physical and mental health are vital when I've had a busy time giving talks to service groups and high schools.

A bit further down the list I must mention the Pine Pet Resort. They are wonderful people and my dog, Rusty, likes going there. When I'm away on book business, it's one less thing to worry about having my pet well cared for. The same with having good neighbours who take in the mail and keep an eye on the house while nobody is there.

And there is the staff at all the Angus and Robertson stores I've asked to have a book signing. They've been so very helpful and full of encouragement.

So, for me, writing isn't just hammering at the keyboards then trying to find a publisher for my work. It's a lot of other things without which my writing life would be a lot harder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear your point of view when it comes to writing. I'm fairly dissapointed that Angus and Robinson has closed down. How will you do signings and advertise your book without them?
I was lucky enough to ravage through the shelves to find your books before they closed. I'm excited to read the last book. Will you do be writing another follow up?